Installing Microsoft Windows Server 2003
If during the design phase you documented to take advantage of the awesome benefits of Windows Server 2003 then we are finial ready to get down and dirty and break out that new hardware and install some software. For the first server you will want to document every step you take in order to create installation procedure documentation. This documentation will be the blue print for all future server builds and serve as a portion of a disaster recovery plan.
The following is an example of the installation procedures needed for Windows Server 2003:
1. From the desired server insert the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 CDROM and press any key to boot from it.
2. Hit the Enter button on the keyboard to continue.
3. Hit the F8 key to agree to the license and continue.
4. Select the drive you want to create the system partition on and hit Enter to continue or C to create a partition and save the remaining space for a data partition.
5. Select Format the partition using NTFS file system (Quick) and hit Enter to contiune.
6. Click Next to continue.
7. Enter your name and organization and click Next to continue.
8. Enter the product key and click Next to continue.
9. Select the appropriate licensing mode and click Next to continue.
10. Enter the computer name and administrator password and click Next to continue.
Note: I recommend that the Administrator account password is at least nine characters long and that it includes at least one punctuation mark or non-printing ASCII character in the first seven characters. In addition, the Administrator account password should be unique from server to server.
11. Enter the appropriate date, time and time zone and click Next to continue.
12. Click to select the Custom settings radio button and click Next to continue.
13. Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
14. Enter the appropriate TCP/IP address information documented during the design phase. Click the Adanced button.
15. Click the DNS tab. It is required to enter the FQDN for the domain the server is a part of in the DNS Suffix for this connection text box.
16. Click the WINS tab. Click the unselect the Enable LMHOSTS lookup checkbox. Click Add to enter any WINS servers on the network. When finished click OK to continue.
17. If the server will be joining a domain then enter the domain name and click Next to continue.
18. Setup will now continue with the installation and it will reboot the server when finished.
19. When installation is completed, login to the server.
20. Click Start click Control Panel click Add or Remove Windows Components.
21. You are now prompted to select the components that Windows Server 2003 will use. For a Terminal Services enviromment I recommend making a few modifications.
22. Double click Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration.
23. If you would like the ICA users to be able to browse the web then it is required to unselect For all other user groups checkbox. I would also uncheck the For administrator groups checkbox but do beware of malicious content. Click OK when finished.
24. Click to select Terminal Server checkbox and click Next to continue.
25. Read the following and click Next to continue.
26. The next screen asks you to set the Windows Server 2003 security default permissions. If you will be installing legacy applications, and at this time most are, then you will really need to test your apps under the Full Security. (Q298372) Permissions Mode Behavior Under Terminal Services
27. Click Finish to continue.
28. Click Yes to reboot to apply system changes.
29. Login as administrator and click Start click Control Panel click on the System applet icon click the Avanced tab and then click the Settings button.
30. Click to select the Advanced tab and then click the Change button.
31. In the Initial size and Maximum size text boxes you will want to set them to 2.5 times the amount of physical memory. Click the Set button to commit changes.
32. Click OK to accept the reminder to reboot for change to take affect and then click OK, click OK and click Yes to restart the system.
33. Install and configure and drivers. Microsoft recommends that you place the system into install mode if you will be installing any hardware or hardware drivers. Refer to "How to install applications" section later in this document for more information on install mode.
Click Start click Run then type: change user /install click OK.
When you have completed the install of the new hardware you will need to place the system back in to Execute mode.
Click Start click Run then type: change user /execute click OK.
34. Run Microsoft Windows Update and install all Critical Updates and Service Packs, Root Certificates, Windows Compatibility Updates.
Note: Remember to use change user /install mode for any updates. For more information on change user /install mode please refer to Installing Applications later on in this section.
35. Set the media type, duplex setting, and the speed that the NIC is required to use within the environment. Verify that the switch or managed switch is configured to the preferred setting. Never allow the NIC to Auto detect the settings as described in section Throttling Port Speed and Duplex Settings
Click Start click Settings click Network Connections right click on the LAN connection click Properties click Configure click the Advanced Tab
The server is now ready for a clean installation of Citrix MetaFrame XP Server with Feature Release 3.
During the design phase of the project plan, you decided which server would act as the data store.
Below I have documented the following:
If you will be utilizing a Microsoft SQL solution, follow the steps documented below.
If you will be utilizing an Oracle solution, please refer to the MetaFrame XP Server Advanced Concepts guide.
If you will be utilizing a Microsoft MSDE solution, follow the steps documented below.
If you will be utilizing a Microsoft Access data store solution please refer to the MetaFrame XP Server installation instructions below as the MS Access data store will be installed by the MetaFrame XP Server installation on the first server in the farm.